One out of every five Africans lives in a country afflicted by war. Over 90% of the casualties are civilians. 19 million Africans are refugees and there are an estimated 20 million landmines lurking beneath African soil. 30 million Africans are infected with HIV. Three quarters of the world’s AIDS deaths occur in Africa. Life expectancy has dramatically fallen in much of Africa over the last decades.
Africa is the poorest continent on earth, and the only one that has actually grown poorer over the last 30 years. Despite Africa having 10% of the world’s population, Africa only accounts for less than 2% of the world’s production.Every year Africa looses 23,000 professionals to immigration.
..........this is why Africa is important to me. I may only cause the smallest dent of good in this huge problem over there, but as a Christian it is important for me to try to witness God to them and help meet their basic needs.
PS~ I am returning to Uganda this Summer (2009). My heart is there. I am in love with Africa and it's people. Lots of news and when the holiday are over I will share all the wonderful things Kristi and I are making happen with the generosity from our family.