Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Prince Rupert, Canada

Prince Rupert, Canada - This stop was our 1 international stop which is required by law for all cruises. How I wished we would have stopped in Victoria :) Prince Rupert was boring....ask my grandparents who took the city tour and ask to be let off!! The tour consisted of showing the tourists different house roof types, drive ways and the city hall building. Anyway, after 30 minutes walking around we discovered they had a "7-11 Gas Station" on the island, so we headed behind the Safeway grocery store to 7-11 and got Slurpees. Leah 1 blurry photo, since I was making the 8 Slurpees under a close eye of about 6 locals who thought it was funny to see 6 kids give out their orders for Slurpees. Or shall I say, yell their orders out all excited for SUGAR!!! All the while no tops fit the cups, and no straws were small enough for the cups (they were too long!). Then we paid with a US $100 bill and got Canadian money back. Oh joy! Yep, right to the ship's desk when we got back on board to get that converted back to US dollars, which is really not that strong nowadays we discovered. I did notice the Slurpee cups were in English and French, which is so different then here in Az where everything is in English and Spanish....

Anyway, back to our Prince Rupert story....after the Slurpee, we went back to the ship, but along the way we found our grandparents wandering out of a neighborhood :) They got off of a city tour! It was boring and so they got off of it after hearing about a driveway. That was it, they wanted off! So we all headed back to the "Cow Bay" area of shops and restaurants. Then headed our seperated ways near the ship after some pictures, as the kids were anxious to get onboard and into the kids program (they LOVED IT). I was not impressed with Prince Rupert and can honestly say I will most likely never go back there if I can avoid it. If I ever cruise to Alaska again I want to go to Victoria Canada as my international stop.